Sibal mocks Modi, says Delhi is `distant`
Pune: Taking potshots at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Union Minister Kapil Sibal said on Monday that internal bickering within the BJP would frustrate Modi`s bid for Prime Ministership.
About Modi`s aspiration to take central stage for the top job, Sibal said, addressing Congress workers, "Delhi is distant. Who will allow you to reach there? There are so many eying the post within that party, including the one who has been standing behind the chair for year," indirectly referring to senior BJP leader LK Advani.
Speaking at a Maharashtra Congress conclave at Balewadi, near here, Sibal alleged that Modi presents a misleading picture of Gujarat`s growth under his leadership, with wrong sets of figures, adding that in reality, the state`s population under the below poverty line (BPL) had increased in rural segments along with a rise in malnutrition.
"If Gujarat has made any progress, it is because of the people of Gujarat and not because of Modi", he said.
In a caustic attack on the BJP poster boy, Sibal said "Modi puts on a mask to hide his true face. If one goes near him, the real face is exposed".
He said only the Congress had a vision for 21st century India and the country could progress only on the path of secularism and not on the one represented by Narendra Modi.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan asked Congress workers to convey UPA government`s "achievements" to the people and prepare for the 2014 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble