Sibal seeks PSEs’ help in literacy mission implementation
New Delhi: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday asked the Public Sector Enterprises (PSEs) to formulate an
action plan for participating in the government`s recast
literacy programme `Saakshar Bharat`, which aims at making 70
million people literate in coming years.
He asked the PSEs to set up a five-member committee to
discuss and formulate plans to help the government in raising
the overall literacy rate to 80 per cent by 2012.
The PSEs like Shipping Corporation and GAIL will submit
the report to the HRD Ministry within three months, he said.
"In the next two years we will be setting up 81,000 adult
education centres (as part of the programme). We have already
given grants of Rs 325 crore to 19 states. You (PSUs) can help
us both in terms of talent and investment," Sibal told heads
of PSUs and banks at an interactive session held by the
Standing Conference of Public Enterprises (SCOPE) here.
The `Saakshar Bharat` scheme, launched last September,
aims at imparting functional literacy to illiterate adults in
the 15 plus age group. It focuses on women (60 million) and
socially backward classes.
He said the government is currently implementing the
scheme in 167 of the total 367 districts identified across 19
states covering about 3.83 crore illiterates.
"...You have the money, talent and physical assets...You
can use each one of these for taking education forward. You
can even rent the assets to set up skill development centres
in your physical establishments.
"In the area of setting up schools, we are going for
public-private partnerships... You can join too by building
physical assets for us as part of your corporate social
responsibility. Other areas include providing incentives to
volunteers whose output is of a certain level," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam