Sibal seeks PSEs’ help in literacy mission implementation
New Delhi: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday asked the Public Sector Enterprises (PSEs) to formulate an
action plan for participating in the government`s recast
literacy programme `Saakshar Bharat`, which aims at making 70
million people literate in coming years.
He asked the PSEs to set up a five-member committee to
discuss and formulate plans to help the government in raising
the overall literacy rate to 80 per cent by 2012.
The PSEs like Shipping Corporation and GAIL will submit
the report to the HRD Ministry within three months, he said.
"In the next two years we will be setting up 81,000 adult
education centres (as part of the programme). We have already
given grants of Rs 325 crore to 19 states. You (PSUs) can help
us both in terms of talent and investment," Sibal told heads
of PSUs and banks at an interactive session held by the
Standing Conference of Public Enterprises (SCOPE) here.
The `Saakshar Bharat` scheme, launched last September,
aims at imparting functional literacy to illiterate adults in
the 15 plus age group. It focuses on women (60 million) and
socially backward classes.
He said the government is currently implementing the
scheme in 167 of the total 367 districts identified across 19
states covering about 3.83 crore illiterates.
"...You have the money, talent and physical assets...You
can use each one of these for taking education forward. You
can even rent the assets to set up skill development centres
in your physical establishments.
"In the area of setting up schools, we are going for
public-private partnerships... You can join too by building
physical assets for us as part of your corporate social
responsibility. Other areas include providing incentives to
volunteers whose output is of a certain level," he said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Facebook profits surge as user base expands
- Watch - Maiden rocket launch from Russia's brand new Vostochny Cosmodrome!
- 'Revamped' Varanasi ghats to go green - PM Modi set to distribute e-boats to boatmen of Ganga
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30
- Waqar Younis blames Shahid Afridi for T20 losses, wants Umar Akmal axed from team