Sibal slams states for corruptions related to land
Kolkata: While the opposition, led by the BJP, is attacking the Congress-led UPA government for scams, including over irregularities in coal block allocations, union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal Wednesday slammed the governments in opposition-ruled states for graft related to land.
"Land is not a central subject. The maximum corruptions in India are in land. Land is the jurisdiction of the state. People do not understand that. People think that I can make laws to deal with corruption in respect to land when I have no jurisdiction to do that," Sibal said at an interactive session organised by Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) here.
"When there is corruption is respect of minerals, in respect of land, they blame the central government... that look you let the corruption to flourish, the fact is that it is the state government. But all this is happening," he said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) disrupted parliament proceedings and demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for alleged discretionary allocations of coal blocks between 2004 to 2009 when he was in charge of the coal ministry.
The CAG report on coal block allotment said private firms are likely to gain Rs 1.86 lakh crore from coal blocks that were allocated to them on nomination basis instead of competitive bidding.
Sibal also slammed the state governments for corruptions at higher education institutions.
"But we do not have the control over the school and colleges of the state governments. On higher education institutions, the government of India only sets standards so maximum corruption is there because the state governments have not changed," he pointed out.
The minister claimed that wherever there was jurisdiction of central government, it had made "enormous changes" to ensure that there was no corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!