Signed 2G report to avoid Vinod Rai’s ‘wrath’: Ex- CAG official RP Singh
New Delhi: Former CAG official R P Singh, who has stirred a controversy, has rejected the allegations that the Congress has put him up to defend the government on the audit report on 2G spectrum allocation which had estimated the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
"I don`t think it has any substance," he told Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN`s Devil`s Advocate when asked about the charge that he has been put up by the Congress.
Singh said he has no connection with the UPA government nor he was having any interaction with it.
"Whatever I have said is not politically motivated and (my conscience) is very clear on that account," he added.
Singh said he would have earned the "wrath" of his then boss Vinod Rai if he had not signed the final audit report on 2G spectrum which pegged presumptive loss of the airwaves auction at Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
"I knew the content of the report... There was a written order. I had to comply. There is no scope for refusing. You would earn wrath," he said.
Singh said there "is no tradition of disagreeing or opposing orders of CAG in my department".
He said that he had deleted certain figures on presumptive loss from the draft report but they were later incorporated in the final report and he knew about it.
Singh also said that he was misquoted by a newspaper that PAC Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi sought to influence the CAG report on 2G whilst the report was being prepared.
"This claim has been made in newspaper report. I do
remember that there is documentary statement where it is stated a member of PAC had asked to calculate loses using a particular formula. I cannot confirm the name, but I can confirm the content," Singh added.
He specifically said that he has been misquoted in the news report.
"I said a member of PAC... It has misquoted me," he said.
The former official said that on one evening of July 2011, Deputy CAG Rekha Gupta summoned him and told him that that report needs to be delivered at 10 am to the Finance Secretary and Telecom Secretary.
"I came back to my office at around 7.30 pm or 8 pm. I ordered my team to prepare a prescribed format along with the set of complete supporting key documents... I signed it that very day at around 8 pm," Singh recollected.
On why he chose to speak on the issue after 14 months of his retirement, Singh said he was asked to comment on the presumptive loss figure in the CAG report following the just concluded spectrum auction which fetched "much much less" amount in comparison to the presumptive loss figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27