Sikh rights group wants Sonia Gandhi to depose before US court
New York: A Sikh rights group wants Congress Party President Sonia Gandhi to depose before a federal court here in a human rights violation lawsuit filed against her after she informed the court that she had not visited the US in September last year and was not served summons in the case.
Sikhs For Justice (SFJ) has been given time till February 6 by a federal court to "investigate" whether Gandhi was in the city between September 2 and September 9, 2013 and file its opposition to Gandhi`s motion to dismiss the human rights violation lawsuit due to insufficient service of summons.
SFJ legal attorney Gurpatwant Singh Pannun said the plaintiffs will request the US federal court to make the Congress President depose regarding her presence in the US in September 2013 and on the service of summons on her.
Gandhi had submitted a new declaration on January 13 to the US court in support of her motion to dismiss the lawsuit.
In the declaration, Gandhi stated that she was "not in New York or in the US during the period of September 3, 2013 through September 9, 2013."
SFJ has claimed that Gandhi was in the city for medical treatment at the Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre during September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings