Sikh woman cop wins ex-gratia for racial discrimination
London, July 28: In a victory against racism, a Sikh woman police officer is set to get `a five figure compensation` after a tribunal ruled out that she had suffered racial and religious discrimination during her training.
An employment tribunal in Reading found that Amandeep Kaur Grewal had suffered racist and religious discrimination during her training with the Metropolitan Police.
The 38-year-old has now applied for a payout, which could reach five figures, the Daily Telegraph reported today.
Grewal, who is of Indian origin, said she was singled out for criticism by her trainer, Pc Lucinda Rigby.
She said that Rigby was "excessive" in supervising her safety training and that her application of handcuffs was checked more often than that of other students.
The tribunal found that Grewal had been unfairly targeted, given negative feed back and over supervised during her training and upheld two of her complaints.
"Of the 17 complaints dealt with in the judgement, only two were upheld. These were one allegation of unlawful discrimination and another unlawful racial and religious discrimination by way of victimisation, a Metropolitan police spokesman said.
"All other claims including victim`s claim of harassment, were dismissed", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations