Silence of PM on KGB issue `unfortunate`: Iyer
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge VR
Krishna Iyer, Sunday said the `silence` of Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, on the allegations of amassment of wealth
against the family members of NHRC chairperson and former CJI
Justice KG Balakrishnan, was `unfortunate`.
“I am surprised that inspite of the serious allegations
against Justice Balakrishnan, the Prime Minister has not
responded to it at all,” Justice Iyer said.
Iyer also said it was justice Giri, who had resigned from
the Kerala High Court and was now practising in the Supreme
Court, who had requested him not to write to the Prime
Minister regarding Justice Balakrishnan.
Iyer had earlier not named Justice Giri.
Justice Giri came home and told me that he came because
Justice Balakrishanan had asked him to tell me that I should
not write to the Prime Minister, Iyer said.
Reacting to the report, Justice Giri told a television
channel that he had not tried to influence Justice Iyer from
writing to the Prime Minister on the Justice Balakrishnan
issue and said he was `deeply hurt`. “I see Justice Iyer as my
Justice Iyer had said that Justice Balakrishnan should
resign and face a probe.
"I think he should resign and face inquiry. It is left to
him. I had demanded a commission of inquiry, not merely
against Balakrishnan but also against his family members --
brother, son, sons-in law, daugthers.”
Media reports had stated that Justice Balakrishnan`s
brother KG Bhaskaran and his two sons in law -- Sreenijan and
Benny -- had amassed wealth disproportionate to their known
sources of income while he was the Supreme Court judge.
The Kerala government has ordered a vigilance probe
against Sreenijan and various lawyers associations have also
demanded that Justice Balakrishnan should resign and face
probe to clear his name.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum