Sindhurakshak mishap: US, France, Germany offer help to India
New Delhi: Many countries including the US and France have offered help to India in its ongoing operations to bring out bodies in the sunken submarine INS Sindhurakshak.
Navy sources here said that if there is need, assistance may be sought from these countries.
Soon after the mishap, countries like the US, France and Germany had offered help to the Indian authorities in the rescue operations of the submarine which sank after a blast with 18 people on board.
The countries which have offered help have a long history of operating and building submarines and have the required expertise in such situations.
On the help to be sought by the Navy from foreign sources for salvaging the ship, the sources said the Navy has very limited in-house capabilities in this regard.
India is in talks with a few international companies who have an expertise in salvaging warships.
The Navy had recently hired a Dutch firm for salvaging its frigate INS Vidhyagiri, which had hit a merchant vessel while entering the Mumbai harbour two years back.
The sources said salvaging the submarine would also give a clear picture about the damage caused to the vessel by the blast and also help the Board of Inquiry under a Commodore (equivalent to Brigadier in Army) to ascertain the reasons behind the blast.
Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi is keeping track of the operations and had briefed Defence Minister A K Antony and Defence Secretary R K Mathur yesterday at the minister`s residence, Defence Ministry sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’