Sindhurakshak tragedy: Pall of gloom on three Kerala villages
Thiruvananthapuram: The Naval submarine tragedy in Mumbai has brought gloom to three villages of Kerala as three of the 18 crew feared dead hailed from there including one who got married just two months ago.
Sailor Liju Lawrence of Vazhikel village, about 50 kms from here, got married only on June 5 last. He had come on a five-day leave for the marriage, family sources said.
Relatives of Lawrence, who had joined the Navy ten years ago, had immediately left for Mumbai on hearing the news of the mishap, the sources added.
Meanwhile, residents of Pallipad village in Allapuzha district are yet to reconcile with the tragedy as their brave boy, Vishnu V (21), is among those feared dead.
Vishnu, son of a farmer Visambaaran, joined the Navy when he was studying B.Sc Chemistry at a local college.
He was moved to the ill-fated submarine four months ago, family sources said.
"One of the associates of Vishnu first informed the family about the mishap," they said. Vishnu had come home on leave in May last.
Vishnu`s father and one of his relative have gone to Mumbai, sources added.
According to reports, sailor Vikas hails from Thalassery in Kannur District.
The Submarine INS Sindhurakshak exploded and sank at the Mumbai dockyard early Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie