Single bill for all services for Delhi consumers soon?
New Delhi: In a first of its kind initiative
in the country, Delhi Government is working on a project
envisaging introduction of a single bill for the consumers for
all utilities such as power, water, telephone and piped
The project has been conceived to facilitate payment of
all the bills to the service providers at one go and provide
relief to the consumers, said a senior official.
The Government has already started the consultation
process with the stakeholders and formed a working group to
address technical issues to implement the project soon.
"All the stakeholders including the private telecom
companies, BSES, DJB, NDPL and Indraprastha Gas Limited have
shown great interest in the project," Director of government`s
Mission Convergence scheme A K Singla said.
Singla, the brain behind the project, said the initiative
was encouraged by the Government`s `green Delhi vision` as
implementation of it will significantly cut down the usage of
paper in the city.
He said as first step towards realising the project, the
utilities have been told to make a common billing cycle.
"Except Delhi Jal Board and discoms, other service
providers told us that they will not have any problem to
adjust their billing cycle," he said.
As per the concept, all service providers will have to
send their bills to the Mission Convergence wing of the IT
Department instead of sending them to the consumers.
The department will then prepare a single comprehensive
bill containing detail break up of various charges and issue
them to the consumers. "The consumers will have the choice of
paying the entire amount or they can pay in parts also."
He said all the stakeholders will gain financially as
they will have to send the bills to "us electronically instead
of distributing it among the consumers."
"The financial benefits would be passed on to the
consumers as well," he said adding the facility will be choice
based and no one will be forced to opt for it.
The bills will be payable at Delhi Government`s `Jeevan
kiosks` or it can be paid online on the website of Jeevan
through credit card, debit card or through online transfer of
The Government will then send the money to various
service providers as per the bill amount. Singla said all the
consumers will also be issued a unique identity number to
`Jeevan kiosk` is a one stop-shop for various services
including payment of phone bills, property and income tax. It
is a Delhi Government initiative to provide single window
services to its citizens.
The Government has established over 250 Jeevan kiosks
across the city so far to provide all the services to the
citizens under one roof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE