Single entrance test: Sibal meets IIT faculty federation
New Delhi: Ahead of Monday`s crucial meeting, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Friday met IIT faculty federation and is understood to have sought to resolve differences arising out of the government`s move to hold a single entrance test for undergraduate technical courses.
Most of the IIT senates and faculty federation are opposing admission to the undergraduate engineering programmes under the new format which will replace IIT-JEE and AIEEE.
The joint council of IITs and NITs will meet on Monday to take a final call on the issue, with sources saying that the IITs, by and large, have opted to retain the existing format of JEE for 2013.
The IIT council had met here on May 12 during which it is believed to have insisted that the proposed single entrance test may be used as the screening test for admissions to the undergraduate program.
Under the proposed new format, which the Ministry proposes to implement from 2013 onwards, a ranking list will be prepared based on Class XII results with 40 per cent weightage to be given after normalisation of marks, 30 per cent to the main test and 30 per cent to the advanced test.
Today`s meeting, which was also attended by some IIT directors, is understood to have also discussed the details about the advanced test.
IITs are insisting that only performance in the advanced test will be used to select and admit candidates to the undergraduate programs.
Sources also said there is no clear majority view emerging on whether to use board marks as cut-off or as part of the initial screening process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31