Single entrance test: Sibal meets IIT faculty federation
New Delhi: Ahead of Monday`s crucial meeting, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Friday met IIT faculty federation and is understood to have sought to resolve differences arising out of the government`s move to hold a single entrance test for undergraduate technical courses.
Most of the IIT senates and faculty federation are opposing admission to the undergraduate engineering programmes under the new format which will replace IIT-JEE and AIEEE.
The joint council of IITs and NITs will meet on Monday to take a final call on the issue, with sources saying that the IITs, by and large, have opted to retain the existing format of JEE for 2013.
The IIT council had met here on May 12 during which it is believed to have insisted that the proposed single entrance test may be used as the screening test for admissions to the undergraduate program.
Under the proposed new format, which the Ministry proposes to implement from 2013 onwards, a ranking list will be prepared based on Class XII results with 40 per cent weightage to be given after normalisation of marks, 30 per cent to the main test and 30 per cent to the advanced test.
Today`s meeting, which was also attended by some IIT directors, is understood to have also discussed the details about the advanced test.
IITs are insisting that only performance in the advanced test will be used to select and admit candidates to the undergraduate programs.
Sources also said there is no clear majority view emerging on whether to use board marks as cut-off or as part of the initial screening process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends