Sinha asks Sonia to tell her team of economic managers to quit
New Delhi: BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Wednesday charged that the Indian economy is in a bad shape and asked Congress president Sonia Gandhi to direct her "team of economic managers" to resign and go for elections to choose a new government.
In a statement issued today, Sinha targeted Finance Minister P Chidambaram for having gone to Tokyo to assure "India and the world" that the government is committed to economic reforms and that the economy will pick up in the current year.
"The confidence of the Finance Minister is clearly misplaced in the light of the grim news which keeps pouring in everyday on the economic front," Sinha, who was Finance Minister in NDA government, said.
Reeling off a slew of figures, Sinha alleged the current account deficit and inflation have grown while core sector growth and private investment have gone down.
"Another year of this kind of mismanagement will be disastrous for India. I am, therefore, appealing to Sonia Gandhi, Congress President and UPA Chairperson, to take a call....
"Her team of economic manager has let down the country badly. She must, therefore, ask them to quit so that fresh elections could be held and a new government could then initiate the steps necessary to bring the economy back on the rails," Sinha said.
He claimed people have no hopes from this government and the "mismanagement" of the economy by this dispensation had led to this situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH