Sino-India defence dialogue next month: Krishna
New Delhi: Postponement of Sino-India border
talks between Special Representatives notwithstanding, India
on Tuesday said its high-level defence dialogue with China would
take place next month as planned earlier.
"I think, we expect whatever is in the pipeline will
continue," External Affairs Minister SM Krishna told
reporters on the sidelines of Passport Officers` Conference
He was responding to a question on whether the defence
dialogue between India and China, scheduled to be held here on
December 8 and 9, would take place and if it would help resume
military exchanges between the two countries. Defence
Secretaries of India and China would meet here on those two
days and discuss issues of mutual interest.
The comments of Krishna, who met India`s Ambassador to
China S Jaishankar Tuesday morning, assume significance in the
wake of the talks between Special Representatives of India and
China scheduled to have taken place yesterday and today being
postponed. The talks were postponed after China objected to
the presence of the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama
at a Buddhist conference here.
"Our Ambassador to China was here for regular
consultations with the Foreign Office. He had also come
prepared to assist the government if the talks between Special
Representatives of India and China discussing the border
issues were to be held. I think, now the meeting is
postponed," he said.
"He (the Ambassador) served the useful purpose of
exchanging views with the Foreign Office," he said.
On comments by former Pakistan foreign minister S M
Qureshi that the country`s nuclear weapons were not safe under
Asif Ali Zardari regime, Krishna termed it as an "internal
affair" of another country and that it was for them to settle
Asked whether the nukes in Pakistan were safe, Krishna
said: "Well, we go by the Government of Pakistan. We go along
with the assurances given by the government there."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested