Sino-Indian border: ITBP men to travel on tractors
New Delhi: Tractors are usually used to
plough fields but soon troops of the ITBP will ride these
machines to help them patrol the Indian frontiers along China.
The border guarding force has ordered almost 60 new
tractors which will be used to transport troops from one
border post to another in areas where there are no motorable
roads or regular vehicles cannot ply due to high-altitude.
"The tractors will be equipped with mowers and other
accessories which will also help the personnel to cut snow and
remove boulders and silt on their route," a senior
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officer said.
The Border Out Posts (BOPs) of the force along the
Sino-Indian border are located at inhospitable terrain and
regular vehicles are of no use even if a small landslide
occurs. These tractors, to be painted in the traditional light
green colour of the force, will be customised for use by the
According to the officer, the tractors will also be used
for transportation of rations, medicines and other material.
"The force usually faces heavy to moderate snowfall at
its various posts. The tractors will be stationed at such
posts and they will work as snow-cutters," the officer said.
The ITBP guards the 3,488-kilometre-long border of the
country with China and its posts are located at heights
ranging from 9,000 to 18,500 feet.
While 60 per cent of them have no road connectivity,
almost 30 per cent are maintained by helicopters.
Communication between patrol parties and the base locations
and posts is often disrupted by bad weather.
The ITBP has almost 50 battalions (50,000 personnel) and
has also deployed its personnel for anti-Naxal operations in
states like Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price