Sino-Pak ties must not affect relations with India: Khurshid
Beijing: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Friday asked China not to allow its close ties with Pakistan to affect Sino-India relationship.
Asked whether he had taken up China`s projects in PoK with his counterpart Wang Yi, Khurshid said, "We understand you (China) have relationship with Pakistan. We respect you have a relationship with Pakistan but it should not be used or allowed to be used against Indian interests," he said.
"We said they (China) have relationship with Pakistan. That does not keep us back to develop relationship with them. We only urged them not to allow anybody to use their relationship to India`s detriment. It is all we urged. That is the point that was noted," he said.
"I did mention the nuclear programme of Pakistan. I also told the Foreign Minister that our relationship is as described by him as a relationship of two important countries in Asia and the world," he said adding that the quality of depth of that relationship should be preserved.
"They understand and we understand. Nudging, flagging and reminding is not a bad idea," he said adding that India too has assured that it would not allow any country to use it to the detriment of China`s interests.
About China supplying more nuclear reactors to Pakistan he said, "I flagged the nuclear programme of Pakistan."
"Those are multilateral agreement....They know their responsibility. As a responsible member of the UN, I am sure they would take appropriate decision," he said.
About China`s support for India`s bid for a permanent membership of the UN Security Council he said he is due to meet Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and State Councillor Yang Jiechi tomorrow to discuss more bilateral issues.
He said, Yang has formally been nominated to succeed Dai Bingguo as Special Representative for border talks.
He is already in touch with his Indian counterpart National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and the two were expected to hold the 16th round of border talks soon, Khurshid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says