Sister Abhaya murder: HC direction to govt on ASI`s death
Kochi: The Kerala government was on Thursday
directed by the high court to hand over to an IGP-rank officer
the probe of a case relating to death of a key witnesses in
the Sister Abhaya murder.
The order was issued by a division bench comprising
justices K Balakrishnan Nair and P N Ravindran on a PIL filed
by Jabarullah of Kottayam.
When the matter came up before the bench, Director
General of Prosecution informed the court that the government
was prepared to hand over investigation relating to death of
former assistant sub-inspector Augustin to the IGP.
Sister Abhaya, an inmate of St. Pius convent in
Kottayam was found dead in the well of the convent on March
Augustine, who was assistant sub-inspector of the
Kottayam West police station at the time of Abhaya`s death,
was the first policeman to reach the spot after the nun`s body
He conducted the inquest and prepared an FIR in the
case and was involved in the initial phase of investigation
before the case was handed over to Crime Branch and later to
He was subjected to brain mapping by CBI in 2007 and
his statement was taken on November 24, 2008, amid allegations
that certain vital information had been suppressed in the FIR.
Augustin was found dead on November 25, 2008 in a
suspected case of suicide.
Two priests and a nun have been arrested by CBI in
connection with the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok