Sister Abhaya murder: HC direction to govt on ASI`s death
Kochi: The Kerala government was on Thursday
directed by the high court to hand over to an IGP-rank officer
the probe of a case relating to death of a key witnesses in
the Sister Abhaya murder.
The order was issued by a division bench comprising
justices K Balakrishnan Nair and P N Ravindran on a PIL filed
by Jabarullah of Kottayam.
When the matter came up before the bench, Director
General of Prosecution informed the court that the government
was prepared to hand over investigation relating to death of
former assistant sub-inspector Augustin to the IGP.
Sister Abhaya, an inmate of St. Pius convent in
Kottayam was found dead in the well of the convent on March
Augustine, who was assistant sub-inspector of the
Kottayam West police station at the time of Abhaya`s death,
was the first policeman to reach the spot after the nun`s body
He conducted the inquest and prepared an FIR in the
case and was involved in the initial phase of investigation
before the case was handed over to Crime Branch and later to
He was subjected to brain mapping by CBI in 2007 and
his statement was taken on November 24, 2008, amid allegations
that certain vital information had been suppressed in the FIR.
Augustin was found dead on November 25, 2008 in a
suspected case of suicide.
Two priests and a nun have been arrested by CBI in
connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen