Sister delighted after Pranab sworn-in as President
Kirnahar (WB): "My joy knows no bound. I am at a loss to describe how happy I am today," said Annapurna Banerjee, elder sister of President Pranab Mukherjee, after the swearing-in ceremony was over.
Annapurna Devi, who watched the swearing-in on TV at her house in this remote village in Birbhum, said, "He (Pranab Mukherjee) had rung up requesting me to attend the ceremony, but I am 82 years old. I could not go. I was depressed, but I have watched it on TV."
"I will certainly go to Raisina Hills. He will take me there. Today I am very, very happy. I cannot describe it. Many old memories are coming to my mind now. I am now waiting for him to come here," she said.
When he visits here, she said, she would present hi
m "Dwijendra Granthabali" (anthology of Bengali writer Dwijendra Lal Ray).
She recalled that several years ago when her brother was an MP, they were sipping tea one day on the verandah of his bungalow in Delhi which presented a view of the President`s stable on the Raisina Hills.
Looking at the horses, he said, "What fun these horses must be having as they don`t have to do anything and get all t
he care. Wish I were reborn as one of these," she reminisced.
"I told him why a horse in the President`s stable! you will become the President of the country one day. This has come true today," she with with palpable pride.
Devi said she would ask for two things from her brother: First, a good hospital at her village Kiranhar and second, good roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video