SIT interrogates ex-VHP leader Jaydeep Patel in 2002 riot case
Ahmedabad: The Special Investigation Team
(SIT), probing a few riot cases, today interrogated former VHP
General Secretary Jaydeep Patel, an accused in the Naroda Gam
case of 2002 riots.
Patel, who is presently out on bail, was questioned for
nearly three hours in connection with his statements recorded
earlier by the SIT officials at its office in old secretariat
campus in Gandhinagar.
"I was called for questioning in connection with my
statements recorded earlier," Patel told PTI.
"They had some queries with regard to my statements so
they had called for clarification. This is not the first time
I have been called. I have come number of times whenever I was
called," he said.
Patel along with former minister in the Narendra Modi
government, Maya Kodnani, had surrendered before the Supreme
Court-appointed SIT after their anticipatory bails, granted by
a lower court, was canceled by the Gujarat High Court on
March 27, 2009.
Patel is accused of instigating and leading a mob along
with Kodnani which killed 11 persons of the minority community
in Naroda Gam area of the city on February 28, 2002.
He is presently not associated with the VHP and is out on
bail as the trial in the case was in progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster