SIT must probe Chhattisgarh attack: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: A court-monitored Special Investigation Team (SIT) should investigate the killing of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, BJP president Rajnath Singh said Monday.
He said in an interview that the probe into the Saturday killings in the Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled state should not be done by an agency "controlled" by the central government.
"This whole incident should be probed by a SIT monitored by the Supreme Court. What were the reasons, what happened," Rajnath Singh said.
"The incident was very unfortunate, sad and I also believe that a lot of innocent people are getting killed not just in Chhattisgarh but all across the country, a lot of security personnel have also lost their lives," he said.
The home ministry has tasked the National Investigation Agency to conduct the probe into the incident.
"A government-controlled agency should not do the probe. This government has continuously misused these agencies," said the BJP chief.
Rajnath Singh said the incident was not a security lapse, but a national problem.
"Naxalism is not a law and order problem, it is a national problem. The central government should call a meeting of all states and draw an action plan," he said.
He said the problem was the way the "Naxal issue" had been handled.
"There is a shortcoming in the anti-Naxal policy, that is why it has continued to persist after so many years," he said.
"A comprehensive action plan is needed," Rajnath Singh said.
The BJP president will visit Chhattisgarh Wednesday and meet Chief Minister Raman Singh.
The Maoists Saturday evening ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in a forested area in Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district, leaving 28 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’