SIT to probe money of Indians in banks abroad: Jethmalani
Mumbai: Former Union Law Minister Ram
Jethmalani on Thursday demanded setting up of a special
investigation team to probe unaccounted money of Indians,
estimated to the tune of 1500 billion dollars, lying in Swiss
and other foreign banks.
"When an SIT can be formed to probe Gujarat riots,
then why not have another one for probing unaccounted wealth?"
Jethmalani asked at a press conference here.
If this money is brought from foreign banks to India,
every family in this country would get nearly Rs two-and-a-
half lakhs, national debt will be liquidated and for 30 years
continuously the people would get a tax free budget, he
"There is no attempt to recover this money and this
is becoming more and more irrecoverable. Even if the money
have been shifted from one bank to another, past records of
these banks would show that the money was lying with them," he
Jethmalani said he and some others had filed a
petition in the Supreme Court to seek recovery of this money,
which is likely to come up for hearing in July but the Union
Government had filed an affidavit saying that though it had
received information about these accounts, it could not
disclose them as it was given under the condition of
"This story of confidentiality is a fraud and lie,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!