SIT to probe money of Indians in banks abroad: Jethmalani
Mumbai: Former Union Law Minister Ram
Jethmalani on Thursday demanded setting up of a special
investigation team to probe unaccounted money of Indians,
estimated to the tune of 1500 billion dollars, lying in Swiss
and other foreign banks.
"When an SIT can be formed to probe Gujarat riots,
then why not have another one for probing unaccounted wealth?"
Jethmalani asked at a press conference here.
If this money is brought from foreign banks to India,
every family in this country would get nearly Rs two-and-a-
half lakhs, national debt will be liquidated and for 30 years
continuously the people would get a tax free budget, he
"There is no attempt to recover this money and this
is becoming more and more irrecoverable. Even if the money
have been shifted from one bank to another, past records of
these banks would show that the money was lying with them," he
Jethmalani said he and some others had filed a
petition in the Supreme Court to seek recovery of this money,
which is likely to come up for hearing in July but the Union
Government had filed an affidavit saying that though it had
received information about these accounts, it could not
disclose them as it was given under the condition of
"This story of confidentiality is a fraud and lie,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’