Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies
New Delhi: The union cabinet Monday approved the proposal for formation of societies for each of the six All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)-like institutions being set up at a cost of over Rs.5,040 crore ($1 billion).
"Creating legal entities in the form of a society for these institutions will facilitate greater autonomy and faster execution of the projects and will expedite the release of funds from the government. Each of these institutions will be registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860," said a cabinet release.
The institutions are being set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
The formation of societies will give these institutions a governance structure, which is not there at present. These societies will be functional till the AIIMS-like institutions are brought under an Act of Parliament.
"Each society will have a two-tier organisation and management structure. The governing council under the chairmanship of the health minister would have appropriate representation from concerned ministries/departments of the government and other related organisations. This will be the apex body deciding all policy matters," it said.
There will also be a board of governors with the health and family welfare secretary as chairperson and appropriate representation of state governments. People with special knowledge in the field of science and medicine will be nominated by the governing council.
The AIIMS-like institutions - to come up in Bihar (Patna), Chhattisgarh (Raipur), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal), Orissa (Bhubaneshwar), Rajasthan (Jodhpur) and Uttarakhand (Rishikesh) - were approved in March 2006 with the objective of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'