Six Army officials convicted in separate graft cases
New Delhi: Six Army officials, including a
Colonel, and a proprietor of a private firm have been
convicted by a CBI court in four graft cases.
The Special Judge, CBI, Chandigarh has convicted Colonel
K K Pandey, Captain Sudhir Deopujari, Captain Suresh Hingorani
and Major D K Roy under various sections of IPC and PC Act in
four cases registered against them, a CBI spokesperson said.
The court also convicted Havaldar Santosh Gajanand
Kulkarni, Auditor Anil Dalal, store contract section, CDA
Western Command, Chandigarh, and Naresh Chadha, proprietor
of an Ambala-based firm in the cases, he said.
In the first case, Colonel Pandey has been sentenced to
undergo one-and-half year Rigorous Imprisonment (RI) with a
fine of Rs 6,250 while Captain Deopujari, the then Brigade
Ordnance Officer, to undergo one-and-half year RI with a fine
of Rs 6,250.
Chadha, proprietor of United Trading Company, was
sentenced to one-and-half year RI with a fine of Rs 5000.
The case was registered against Col Pandey and others on
allegations that while being posted and functioning as Officer
Commanding of 49 AD Regiment, 56 APO during 1990, he had
entered into criminal conspiracy with Captain Deopujari and
Chadha along with another firm Swiss Batteries.
"In pursuance thereof the accused prepared bogus unit
local purchase documents of four bills submitted by Naresh
Chadha, contractor of the said firm, without actually
supplying any material to the Army Unit 49 AD, Regiment C/o 56
APO and thereby defrauded the Western Command, Chandigarh to
the tune of Rs 2.25 lakh," the CBI spokesperson said.
In second case, the court sentenced Captain Hingorani,
Officiating Commanding Officer Brigade Signal, 56 APO to
undergo one-and-half year RI with a fine of Rs 6,250.
Captain Deopujari was also sentenced to undergo one-and-
half year RI with fine of Rs 6,250 along with Havaldar
Kulkarni and Chadha.
The accused prepared bogus unit local purchase documents
of 12 bills submitted by Chadha, without actually supplying
any material to the Army Unit and thereby defrauded the
Western Command, Chandigarh to the tune of over Rs 5.65 lakh,
In third case, Major Kumar Roy was sentenced to undergo
one-and-half year RI with a fine of Rs 6,250 along with
Captain Deopujari and Chadha, who was fined Rs 5000.
The case related to defrauding Western Command,
Chandigarh, to the tune of Rs 2.1 lakh.
In fourth case, Captain Hingorani, Deopujari and Kulkarni
along with Chadha and Auditor Dalal were sentenced to undergo
one-and-half year RI for defrauding the Western Command,
Chandigarh, to the tune of Rs 1.62 lakh through false
receipts, the CBI official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list