`Six charged over Vienna Sikh temple murder`
Vienna: Six men have been charged in
connection with a gun and knife attack at a Sikh temple in
Vienna last year in which a visiting guru was shot dead,
sparking unrest back in India, prosecutors said today.
A 35-year-old Indian man is being charged with murder
and two counts of attempted murder for the May 24 shooting.
Five other men, aged 29 to 46, face charges of
complicity to murder and attempted grievous assault, the
A trial date has not been set, it added.
Sikh guru Sant Rama Nand, 57, was killed and 16
others were injured during the attack on a gathering at a Sikh
temple in the Austrian capital on May 24, 2009.
Among those injured was another visiting guru from
India, Sant Niranjan Dass, 68, who was hit by two bullets in
the abdomen and the hip.
The main suspect, who was shot in the head during the
clash and spent time in hospital in an induced coma, said he
did not remember anything. According to a psychiatric expert,
these claims were "credible".
The five other suspects meanwhile rejected the
charges against them, their lawyer Alexia Stuefer told AFP.
"Being at the scene of the crime does not make you
guilty," she argued.
Although the five did drive to the temple with the
alleged murderer, "they were not aware of his plans," said
"If they had known, they would have stopped him.
They simply wanted to see the ceremony," she said, adding that
her clients had been "seriously injured" during the attack.
A religious row between orthodox Sikh groups and
the two gurus` movement -- Shri Guru Ravidas Sabha -- was
believed to be behind the attack, prosecutors said.
The shooting had been planned in advance, probably
by a radical Sikh group in Spain, they added, noting that
several of the suspects had travelled to Vienna from Spain
before the attack.
The Vienna clash ignited unrest in India that
caused at least two deaths and led to heightened security
across the northern state of Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video