`Six explored coal mines for allotment to private companies identified`
New Delhi: The UPA report card on Wednesday said 17 coal blocks were put on offer for government companies and another six explored mines have been identified for allotment to private firms through competitive bidding route.
"...17 coal blocks were offered for allocation to government companies. Further six more coal blocks, which are explored in detail and can be offered to private sector through competitive bidding, have been identified," the UPA said in its `Report to the People` released by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi on the fourth anniversary of UPA-II.
The report further said that rules for auction of competitive bidding of coal mines were notified in December last year.
Initiating the process of allocation of coal mines, the government had last year invited proposals from PSUs for alloting 17 blocks to them, mostly for captive power plants.
The development came in the wake of the government`s repeated announcements to make policy for mines allotment transparent, following CAG terming potential losses of Rs 1.86 lakh crore to the exchequer on account of blocks allotment to 57 private firms without auction.
The blocks on offer are: Jilga-Barpali, Baisi, Banai, Bhalmunda, Kente and Kerwa in Chhattisgarh, Gowa, Pachwara South and Kalyanpur-Badalpara in Jharkhand, Mahajanwadi in Maharashtra, Kundanali-Laburi, Sarapal-Nuapara, Tentuloi, Chandrabila and Brahamani in Odisha, Gandbahera-Uhhenia block in Madhya Pradesh and Deocha-Pachami-Dewanganj-Harinsingha inWest Bengal.
These blocks on offer have estimated reserves of 8.45 billion tonnes.
The Coal Ministry had earlier identified 54 coal blocks for various sectors, including 16 for power, 12 for steel among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH