`Six explored coal mines for allotment to private companies identified`
New Delhi: The UPA report card on Wednesday said 17 coal blocks were put on offer for government companies and another six explored mines have been identified for allotment to private firms through competitive bidding route.
"...17 coal blocks were offered for allocation to government companies. Further six more coal blocks, which are explored in detail and can be offered to private sector through competitive bidding, have been identified," the UPA said in its `Report to the People` released by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi on the fourth anniversary of UPA-II.
The report further said that rules for auction of competitive bidding of coal mines were notified in December last year.
Initiating the process of allocation of coal mines, the government had last year invited proposals from PSUs for alloting 17 blocks to them, mostly for captive power plants.
The development came in the wake of the government`s repeated announcements to make policy for mines allotment transparent, following CAG terming potential losses of Rs 1.86 lakh crore to the exchequer on account of blocks allotment to 57 private firms without auction.
The blocks on offer are: Jilga-Barpali, Baisi, Banai, Bhalmunda, Kente and Kerwa in Chhattisgarh, Gowa, Pachwara South and Kalyanpur-Badalpara in Jharkhand, Mahajanwadi in Maharashtra, Kundanali-Laburi, Sarapal-Nuapara, Tentuloi, Chandrabila and Brahamani in Odisha, Gandbahera-Uhhenia block in Madhya Pradesh and Deocha-Pachami-Dewanganj-Harinsingha inWest Bengal.
These blocks on offer have estimated reserves of 8.45 billion tonnes.
The Coal Ministry had earlier identified 54 coal blocks for various sectors, including 16 for power, 12 for steel among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly