Six fishermen attacked by Lankan Navy
Karaikal: In the third such attack in as many days, six fishermen, who ventured into the sea from here, got injured when they were attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan naval men off Kodiakarai coast, fisheries department officials said on Saturday.
The fishermen of Kilinjalmedu fishing hamlet were fishing in Indian waters a few knots South East off Kodiakarai last night when the Lankan Navy personnel arrived there on a fast craft and allegedly attacked them with iron rods. They also threw their catch into the sea, officials said.
They were rescued by other fishermen and reached the shore this morning. They have been admitted to the Karaikal Government Hospital, officials said.
On April 10, eight fishermen of the nearby Nagapattinam district were injured in two separate incidents of attack allegedly by the Lankan Navy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India