Six key bills cleared in a single day in Parliament
New Delhi: On the second last day of the monsoon session, Parliamentarians rushed through legislative business, clearing six crucial Bills on a single day.
Lok Sabha, which was adjourned sine die today, passed four Bills after short discussions on each of them. Some members were even keen that the minor Bills be cleared without any discussion as there was a near consensus on them.
Lok Sabha discussed and passed the Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending ) Bill, 2012; Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Bill, 2013; Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill, 2012; and The Representation of the People (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2013.
Though discussion on the Bill on street vendors started yesterday members participated enthusiastically in the debate today. A total of four hours had been set aside for the Bill.
But the bill for an aviation university and for amending the Representation of People Act were passed after summary discussions lasting around 15 minutes.
Several members insisted that the bill banning manual scavenging be cleared without discussion but a very short discussion took place when some MPs insisted on it.
Rajya Sabha passed The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill, 2011, which was passed by the Lok Sabha on September 4. It will create a regulator for the sector and allows 26 per cent FDI.
The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2013, to modify the list of Scheduled Tribes (STs) in Chhattisgarh and Kerala that would help tribal communities in the two states was also passed by the Rajya Sabha. The Lok Sabha has already cleared the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...