Six-lane roads to connect India`s metros
New Delhi: India`s metros -- Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai -- will soon be connected through six-lane roads, Minister for Road Transport and Highways CP Joshi said on Monday.
"Concessions for nearly half the length have already been awarded. The balance would be awarded within the next one year," Joshi said at a conference on `Challenges and opportunities in public-private partnership in national highways`.
The minister said six-laning of the Golden Quadrilateral project was one of the priorities of the central government. Apart from the four metros, the project, which runs through 5,846 kms, also covers major cities like Bangalore, Pune, Ahmedabad and Surat.
Joshi said the government has also initiated the process of building expressway projects in selected high density areas.
"We are in dialogue with potential investors and concerned state governments to find innovative ways of financing these expressways," he said.
The minister said acquisition of land was becoming one of the major issues of concerns in the development of road projects.
He said most of the projects would be developed through public-private-partnership. The government plans to award contracts for building 7,300 kms of national highways projects this year.
"This will harness private investment of over Rs 50,000 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price