Six Somali pirates remanded in police custody
Mumbai: A local court on Thursday allowed the city
police to question for four days six of the 61 Somalian sea
pirates arrested by the Indian Navy in the Arabian sea, a
senior police official said.
All the pirates handed over to the city police yesterday
were produced before a local court today.
"Six pirates were remanded in police custody till March
21 while the rest were sent to judicial custody till March
29," Deputy Police Commissioner (Port Zone) Quaiser Khalid
The six pirates were suspected to be playing a lead role
and the police wanted them to interrogate first, sources said.
"We would seek the police custody of the rest as and when
required and we would go step by step in the case," the DCP
The medical examination of all the 13 victims and the
accused was conducted and all were found to be fit, he said.
The 61 pirates were booked under relevant sections of
the IPC, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Passport
Act, the Foreigners Act and the Arms Act.
After a gun-battle in the high seas, the Navy had
apprehended a pirate mother ship called Vega 5 and caught the
sea brigands on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in