Six Somali pirates remanded in police custody
Mumbai: A local court on Thursday allowed the city
police to question for four days six of the 61 Somalian sea
pirates arrested by the Indian Navy in the Arabian sea, a
senior police official said.
All the pirates handed over to the city police yesterday
were produced before a local court today.
"Six pirates were remanded in police custody till March
21 while the rest were sent to judicial custody till March
29," Deputy Police Commissioner (Port Zone) Quaiser Khalid
The six pirates were suspected to be playing a lead role
and the police wanted them to interrogate first, sources said.
"We would seek the police custody of the rest as and when
required and we would go step by step in the case," the DCP
The medical examination of all the 13 victims and the
accused was conducted and all were found to be fit, he said.
The 61 pirates were booked under relevant sections of
the IPC, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Passport
Act, the Foreigners Act and the Arms Act.
After a gun-battle in the high seas, the Navy had
apprehended a pirate mother ship called Vega 5 and caught the
sea brigands on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!