Six states seek central fund to tackle drought-like-situation
New Delhi: Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sought central assistance to tackle drought-like-situation, Parliament was informed on Friday.
So far, Karnataka has declared 142 talukas as drought affected, Gujarat 132 talukas and Rajasthan in 5 districts, Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
"Central teams have been constituted to assess loss/damage due to drought and recommend assistance from National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF)," he added.
Rawat pointed out the overall rainfall deficit for the country as a whole was 15 per cent as on August 14. Out of 36 Met sub-divisions in the country, 13 received deficient rainfall and 3 received scanty rainfall.
"Governments of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sent memorandum seeking central assistance in the wake of drought-like-situation," he said.
Rawat also said the government is closely monitoring monsoon and crop sowing situation in consultation with state governments. The Centre has already made available contingency plans to states for 343 districts.
That apart, he said, the Centre has taken decisions to introduce diesel subsidy scheme, hike seed subsidy and release funds under National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) and Integrated Watershed Management Programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya