Six states seek central fund to tackle drought-like-situation
New Delhi: Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sought central assistance to tackle drought-like-situation, Parliament was informed on Friday.
So far, Karnataka has declared 142 talukas as drought affected, Gujarat 132 talukas and Rajasthan in 5 districts, Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
"Central teams have been constituted to assess loss/damage due to drought and recommend assistance from National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF)," he added.
Rawat pointed out the overall rainfall deficit for the country as a whole was 15 per cent as on August 14. Out of 36 Met sub-divisions in the country, 13 received deficient rainfall and 3 received scanty rainfall.
"Governments of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sent memorandum seeking central assistance in the wake of drought-like-situation," he said.
Rawat also said the government is closely monitoring monsoon and crop sowing situation in consultation with state governments. The Centre has already made available contingency plans to states for 343 districts.
That apart, he said, the Centre has taken decisions to introduce diesel subsidy scheme, hike seed subsidy and release funds under National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) and Integrated Watershed Management Programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state