Six states seek central fund to tackle drought-like-situation
New Delhi: Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sought central assistance to tackle drought-like-situation, Parliament was informed on Friday.
So far, Karnataka has declared 142 talukas as drought affected, Gujarat 132 talukas and Rajasthan in 5 districts, Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
"Central teams have been constituted to assess loss/damage due to drought and recommend assistance from National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF)," he added.
Rawat pointed out the overall rainfall deficit for the country as a whole was 15 per cent as on August 14. Out of 36 Met sub-divisions in the country, 13 received deficient rainfall and 3 received scanty rainfall.
"Governments of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana have sent memorandum seeking central assistance in the wake of drought-like-situation," he said.
Rawat also said the government is closely monitoring monsoon and crop sowing situation in consultation with state governments. The Centre has already made available contingency plans to states for 343 districts.
That apart, he said, the Centre has taken decisions to introduce diesel subsidy scheme, hike seed subsidy and release funds under National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) and Integrated Watershed Management Programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes