Slain VHP leader Saraswati`s aide arrested in Kandhamal
Bhubaneshwar: A close aide of the slain VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati was on Sunday arrested in Kandhamal, the police said.
Madhu Baba against whom a non-bailable warrant (NBW) was pending for a long time was arrested near Jaleshpeta Ashram in Tumudibandh police station in communally fragile Kandhamal district.
"Based on the court warrant, Madhu Baba was arrested. It has nothing to do with last year`s communal violence", Superintendent of Police, Prabin Kumar told agencies over phone.
Though Madhu Baba was close to Saraswati and staying at Jaleshpeta Ashram, he was not a member of VHP, said VHP state secretary Gouri Prasad Rath.
Madhu Baba who was present at Jaleshpeta Ashram when unknown gunmen killed Saraswati on August 23, 2008, had filed FIR at Tumudibandh police station after the killing.
The crime branch of Orissa police was now investigating Saraswati murder case on the basis of Madhu Baba`s FIR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what