Slain whistleblowers` kin disappointed with govt
New Delhi: The four children eagerly waited
for the tinkle of their father`s cycle bell signalling his
return home, little realising that the next time they see him,
it would be with a bullet in his head.
Slain RTI activist Shashidhar Mishra`s story is among
various other heart-rending incidents that were narrated at
Anna Hazare`s protest here by the families of whistleblowers,
who were killed while fighting corruption.
"The children still ask for their father. They are yet to
come to terms with their father`s loss. I feel proud that he
died fighting corruption, but I also feel really disappointed
that the government instead of bringing the people behind his
killing to justice is, in fact, shielding them," said Anita,
35-year-old Mishra, a street vendor, was shot dead by
unknown assailants near his house in Phulwaria village, near
Bihar`s Begusarai town in 2010.
"He had worked tirelessly to expose corruption at the
panchayat and block levels. He filed his first RTI application
in 2008 and by the time he died he had filed more than 1,000
RTI applications," said Anita. Mishra`s wife is not alone in
23-year-old Satish Kumar was purportedly run over by a
vehicle carrying sand from a river bed in Tamil Nadu`s
Tirunelvelli district when he tried to block its path along
with 20 villagers.
14 days on, his family is still waiting for the
post mortem report.
"They might have detained two or three persons but the
racket is much bigger than that. This issue is not isolated.
It is taking place in several states in the country and it is
to prevent further such incidents that I stand here today,"
said Prabhu, Satish`s brother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH