Slippers, shoes thrown at Coal Minister Jaiswal
Kanpur: Angry traders opposing the decision of the Union government to allow 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail on Saturday threw slippers and shoes at the motorcade of Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal here, local party leaders said.
The incident took place when Jaiswal, also the local MP, was headed back from Bhairon Ghat crematorium on the banks of the Ganga where he had gone to attend the funeral of an acquaintance, said an aide of Jaiswal.
It was then that a group of traders started shouting slogans against Jaiswal and the Congress-led Central government.
They wanted to meet Jaiswal, but when the minister refused to stop, the protesters threw slippers and shoes at his car. After the motorcade passed, angry Congressmen entered into a tiff with the traders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof