SM Krishna commits faux pas at UNGA
United Nations: In a major embarrassment to India, Minister of External Affairs, SM Krishna on Saturday, committed a faux pas by accidently reading out Portuguese Foreign Minister’s speech in place of his own.
Krishna went on to read the wrong speech for five minutes but rectified the error after an Indian official drew his attention.
Speaking at the United Nations Security Council at a debate on security and development yesterday, Krishna read out the wrong speech for about three minutes before being corrected by India`s envoy to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri.
Krishna read Portuguese Foreign Minister Luis Amado`s speech, without realising his mistake, apparently because the first portion related to general issues pertaining to the UN, development and security.
But a few lines did go out of place.
"On a more personal note, allow me to express my profound satisfaction regarding the happy coincidence of having two members of the Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP), Brazil and Portugal, together here today," was one of them.
Krishna could have said this thinking it fit because Brazil holds the current presidency of the Security Council.
"The European Union is also responding in this manner in coordination with the United Nations," he said, before Puri intervened.
"You can start again," Puri told Krishna following the faux pas.
The Portugal Minister had already spoken before India.
Krishna is here on a two-day visit to push India`s agenda for Security Council reforms.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what