SM Krishna demands apology from PTI
New Delhi: Foreign Minister SM Krishna has demanded a public apology from the Press Trust of India (PTI), after it described him as "absent minded" in Parliament, the national news agency said on Friday.
PTI had reported Thursday that SM Krishna "had to be prodded" by the Speaker of the lower house to make a scheduled statement on the situation in Sri Lanka, and that he then failed to immediately find the speech in his file.
The news agency said that Krishna had served a legal notice alleging that the report was "completely false" and "malicious" and that a public apology is required.
The notice also claimed that PTI had made efforts to deliberately damage the minister`s reputation in recent months but did not mention any examples.
The agency called the notice "an extraordinary step," citing legislation that protects media from lawsuits regarding the coverage of parliament unless a report can be proved to have been made with malice.
Krishna has previously come under fire for alleged public gaffes, notably in February this year, when he mistakenly read out a speech by his Portuguese counterpart at a United Nations meeting in New York.
He read the first three minutes of the wrong text before one of his officials stepped in to point out his error.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing