SM Krishna heads to Russia, Uzbekistan
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister SM Krishna heads to Russia on Tuesday on a three-day visit that will see the two sides take steps to boost economic ties and try to iron out differences over issues like the pricing of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov.
He will proceed to the gas-rich Central Asian republic of Uzbekistan from there.
This will be Krishna`s first visit to Russia since becoming foreign minister nearly five months ago.
Issues relating to the delivery of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov, which India is buying from Russia amid a controversy over its repeated cost escalation, and civil nuclear cooperation will be discussed during the visit, an official source said.
The visit is expected to bolster bilateral trade and investment which have remained much below potential despite robust relations between the two countries in other areas. India and Russia have set a bilateral trade target of USD 10 billion by 2010. It is currently estimated to be around USD 8 billion.
Krishna will co-chair the 15th joint commission meeting with Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Sobyanin in Moscow on Wednesday that will discuss an entire spectrum of the time-tested India-Russia friendship.
Called the Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC), it involves meetings of six joint working groups dealing with trade and economy; energy; metallurgy and mining; science and technology; information and communication technology; and culture and tourism.
Krishna will call on Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and also meet his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.
The talks will set the stage for the visit by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the annual summit in Moscow in December.
Officials accompanying Krishna to Russia are hopeful that the visit will further energise relations between the two countries.
During the visit of Defence Minister AK Antony to Moscow last week, the two countries agreed on two military pacts, including a 10-year deal on weapons, aircraft and maintenance contracts which is estimated to be over USD 5 billion.
Krishna will be in the Uzbek capital Tashkent Friday. Besides meeting his Uzbek counterpart, he will call on President Islam Karimov.
The energy-rich Central Asia has moved up India`s foreign policy agenda with frequent high-level visits from the Indian side to the region in the past few months. President Praibha Patil visited Tajikistan last month. Krishna visited Turkmenistan over a month ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark