SM Krishna raises issue of anti-India activities with Prachanda
Kathmandu: India`s serious concerns over
Maoists` growing activities against it, including attacks on
its diplomats and threats to joint ventures in Nepal, were
on Friday raised by External Affairs Minister SM Krishna during
his meeting with the former rebels` chief Prachanda.
At the meeting, which came on the last day of the Indian
minister`s three-day visit to Nepal, Krishna conveyed New
Delhi`s strong security concerns.
After their talks, the UCPN-Maoist chief said he told
Krishna his party had no anti-India policy and asked New Delhi
not to view Maoists in that light.
However, he claimed that anti-Indian sentiments in Nepal
were due to New Delhi`s "interference" in its internal
Krishna and Prachanda also discussed Nepal`s peace
process, Constitution-drafting and army integration.
Prachanda said he told Krishna that he had been trying
his best to forge consensus among political parties to
accomplish these tasks.
He said their meeting also covered issues like national
security and economic ties, with both sides highlighting the
need to maintain cordial Indo-Nepal ties.
Krishna later told reporters that he had a "free and
productive meeting" with Prachanda and "they exchanged views
on the peace process and various other relevant issues."
Prachanda assured him that he would cooperate with India,
Krishna said, adding the Maoist chief sought New Delhi`s
continued support to bring the peace process to a logical
He said that he raised the issue of anti-India rhetoric
with the Maoist leadership and told Prachanda that it is
necessary to respect the sanctity of diplomats.
When Indian ambassador Rakesh Sood recently visited
Kailali, Gulmi and some other districts outside Kathmandu to
hand over Indian-aided projects in the fields of education,
health and drinking water, local Maoist cadres waved black
flags, shouted anti-India slogans and tried to disrupt the
In some places, where various roads and bridges were
constructed under Indian assistance, the Maoists defaced the
Indian national flag.
Ahead of Krishna`s visit that began on Wednesday, Maoists
also stormed a meeting of Indian infrastructure company
GMR, which is working on a hydropower project in Nepal.
Wrapping up his visit, Krishna said that India wanted to
see a peaceful, prosperous and democratic Nepal and voiced
confidence that this country`s peace process and Constitution-
drafting would be completed within the deadline of May 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview