Smiles all over Ashoka Hall as new ministers take oath
New Delhi: The ornate Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan on Sunday reverberated with joy as 22 new ministers were inducted into the central government.
Shashi Tharoor, who made a comeback in the government, was seen greeted by one and many as he and his wife Sunanda Pushkar gracefully acknowledged the greetings.
Pushkar was also seen chatting with National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon among others before the swearing-in ceremony and clicked pictures using her mobile phone as Tharoor walked up to the podium to take oath of office and secrecy.
Harish Rawat, who was elevated to the Cabinet rank, was all smiles as he entered the Ashoka Hall.
Rawat, a strong contender for the post of the Uttarakhand Chief Minister after the March elections to the state assembly, had been sulking when the top post went to Vijay Bahuguna.
NCP`s Tariq Anwar was the only representative from the UPA partners to be sworn in as a Minister of State, marking his maiden entry in the government.
Anwar, a four-term member of the Lok Sabha from Katihar in Bihar, is now a second term Rajya Sabha member from NCP.
Rahul Gandhi, who arrived at the Rashtrapati Bhawan along with his mother Sonia Gandhi, was seen chatting with young ministers Jyotiraditya Scindia, Milind Deora, Sachin Pilot, RPN Singh and Jitendra Singh after the swearing-in ceremony.
"I am talking with my `imprints`," he said jocularly when journalists sought his comments on the reshuffle. He was apparently referring to media reports of `Rahul imprint on Cabinet reshuffle`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead