Smoking menace: N Railway prosecutes over 7,000 persons
New Delhi: Taking on the menace of smoking in rail premises, the Northern Railway has penalised more than 7000 people this year in the Delhi Division and realised over Rs 15 lakh as penalty from them.
"The Railways have penalised 7554 persons for smoking in trains and stations under Section 167 of the Railway Act from January to November this year. A penalty of Rs 15,12,180 has been realised from these offenders during the period," said a senior Northern Railway official on Tuesday.
The Railways have maintained that it is a challenge for the rail authorities to detect such offenders and have banned the sale of cigarettes and bidis in trains and railway premises since 1999.
The Northern Railway is undertaking several initiatives to curb the menace of smoking in trains and station premises, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?