Smriti Irani advocates for Justice Ganguly`s resignation
Kolkata: BJP MP Smriti Irani on Monday joined the chorus demanding resignation of WBHRC chairman Justice Ashok Ganguly in an alleged sexual harassment case of a law intern and said time has come to set an example that people representing the judicial system were not above the law.
"When somebody who has served in the judicial system and then represents the human rights is found to have broken the law, I think it is extremely important that an example be set for the rest of the country, which is, the person should be equally dealt under the law," Irani said on the sidelines of a programme here.
"The fact that he leads a commission which gives justice in cases of human rights violation, I think the contradiction is so stark that he should step down. I don`t think people will believe that justice can be delivered in such a situation," Irani, who is also BJP`s vice-president, said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has twice written to President Pranab Mukherjee asking him to take appropriate action against Justice Ganguly.
A Supreme Court committee of three judges had indicted Ganguly for his "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards the intern.
Ganguly has denied the charges and refused to comment on demands for his resignation from the WBHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what