Smriti Irani takes over as BJP Mahila Morcha chief
New Delhi: Actor-cum-politician Smriti
Irani of the `Saas-Bahu` TV soaps fame today took over the
reins of the BJP`s women wing, with the party hoping that it
would boost its popularity among the fair sex.
Addressing a function to felicitate the 34-year-old,
BJP President Nitin Gadkari, who appointed Irani after being
impressed with her work in Maharashtra during the last
assembly elections, expressed the hope that under her
leadership, Mahila Morcha would help in increasing the party`s
votebank by 10 per cent.
Gadkari said BJP aims to woo women, schedule castes,
schedule tribes, unorganised sector workers, minorities and
professionals through `Friends of BJP` to score an impressive
victory in 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Gadkari said every organisation needed to improve its
skills and for this training was essential.
In her address, Irani vowed to fulfil this goal.
"Our party president had said that 2,000 women party
workers from across the country should be trained about the
"I assure him that this will be done," she said at the
function at the BJP headquarters here.
The BJP president maintained that other than being a
glamourous face on television, Irani was a talented, dedicated
and committed party worker.
She is popular among the workers, he added.
Gadkari said BJP office-holders should treat their
appointment as a one day match in which each ball should be
hit. Similarly, the BJP leaders should make every day count,
Irani had contested and lost the 2004 Lok Sabha
elections from Chandni Chowk constituency of Delhi to Kapil
A star campaigner of the BJP, she was included in
party`s new national executive.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said
the presence of women in BJP national executive and
office-bearers had increased after 33 per cent reservation was
given to them.
Both Gadkari and Swaraj praised outgoing Mahila Morcha
president Kiran Maheshwari, saying she had done commendable
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray