Smriti Irani to contest against Rahul Gandhi, Kumar Vishwas in Amethi?
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
New Delhi: It seems Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi would have to fight a pitched battle in the upcoming General Elections to regain the Amethi parliamentary seat. If reports are to be believed, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national vice president Smriti Irani may be fielded against the Gandhi scion from Amethi.
Reports suggest that the BJP has conveyed the message to Irani, who has given her nod to take on Rahul in Amethi, considered to be a Gandhi bastion.
If BJP finalises Irani for Amethi, the Gandhi bastion would witness an interesting three-way contest – the other two being Rahul Gandhi and AAP leader Kumar Vishwas.
Irani, who at present is a Rajya Sabha member and is considered to be a close confidante of Narendra Modi, had unsuccessfully contested the 2009 Lok Sabha polls. She was defeated by Congress leader Kapil Sibal from Chandni Chowk constituency in the national capital.
This comes after yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Wednesday urged the BJP to field Uma Bharti from the Rae Bareli Lok Sabha constituency against Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
He said that if the BJP agrees to field Bharti from Rae Bareli, he and his followers would campaign for her.
BJP has fielded Bharti from Uttar Pradesh`s Jhansi constituency. However, reports have suggested that the party may reconsider its decision and field Bharti against Sonia.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report