Smuggled arms, ammunition seized; 3 Bangladeshi militants held
Aizawl: Altogether 33 assault and automatic rifles and a light machine gun being smuggled to Bangladesh from Myanmar via India by Bangladeshi militants have been seized from near the Mizoram airport, police said.
Superintendent of Police, CID (Crime), Joseph Lalchhuana said here that 23 AK-47 assault rifles, a Browning automatic rifle and a light machine gun being routed from Myanmar to Bangladesh were seized near Lengpui airport yesterday and another eight AK-47 rifles today.
Three Bangladeshi militants -- Moni Tripura, Robi Chakma and Sabuj Chakma, belonging to the PCJSS faction of the Shanti Bahini, a Chakma outfit active in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, were arrested yesterday following the seizure, he said.
The eight AK-47 rifles were recovered today after the interrogation of the alleged militants.
Also seized today were 86 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 24 rounds of LMG ammunition and 699 rounds of ammunition for the Browning Automatic rifle, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism
- Cleric suspended after selfies with Pakistan`s `Kim Kardashian`