Smuggled arms, ammunition seized; 3 Bangladeshi militants held
Aizawl: Altogether 33 assault and automatic rifles and a light machine gun being smuggled to Bangladesh from Myanmar via India by Bangladeshi militants have been seized from near the Mizoram airport, police said.
Superintendent of Police, CID (Crime), Joseph Lalchhuana said here that 23 AK-47 assault rifles, a Browning automatic rifle and a light machine gun being routed from Myanmar to Bangladesh were seized near Lengpui airport yesterday and another eight AK-47 rifles today.
Three Bangladeshi militants -- Moni Tripura, Robi Chakma and Sabuj Chakma, belonging to the PCJSS faction of the Shanti Bahini, a Chakma outfit active in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, were arrested yesterday following the seizure, he said.
The eight AK-47 rifles were recovered today after the interrogation of the alleged militants.
Also seized today were 86 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 24 rounds of LMG ammunition and 699 rounds of ammunition for the Browning Automatic rifle, he said.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- IIT Guwahati student found hanging at hostel room
- Hyundai Motors cars fitted with defective air bags?
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's intervention for release of 34 fishermen held by Lanka
- Indian Premier League, Match 27: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Whoa! 'Main Hoon Na' sequel on cards?