Smuggled arms, ammunition seized; 3 Bangladeshi militants held
Aizawl: Altogether 33 assault and automatic rifles and a light machine gun being smuggled to Bangladesh from Myanmar via India by Bangladeshi militants have been seized from near the Mizoram airport, police said.
Superintendent of Police, CID (Crime), Joseph Lalchhuana said here that 23 AK-47 assault rifles, a Browning automatic rifle and a light machine gun being routed from Myanmar to Bangladesh were seized near Lengpui airport yesterday and another eight AK-47 rifles today.
Three Bangladeshi militants -- Moni Tripura, Robi Chakma and Sabuj Chakma, belonging to the PCJSS faction of the Shanti Bahini, a Chakma outfit active in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, were arrested yesterday following the seizure, he said.
The eight AK-47 rifles were recovered today after the interrogation of the alleged militants.
Also seized today were 86 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 24 rounds of LMG ammunition and 699 rounds of ammunition for the Browning Automatic rifle, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show to focus on building new enterprise
- DNA: Today in History, 26th August, 2016
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured