Snoopgate: Narendra Modi would have been in jail had probe started earlier, says Beni
New Delhi: Rejecting BJP`s charge of political vendetta in the Centre`s move to set up an inquiry commission to probe Gujarat snoopgate case, Congress on Friday said it was a "genuine need" and alleged that snooping on the girl was done at the behest of Narendra Modi not only inside but outside Gujarat too.
"Snooping on the girl was done on behest of "Saheb" not only inside but outside Gujrat also. An all-India inquiry was a genuine need," party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed Tweeted.
Sometime back, Congress had held a press conference in AICC playing out an audio clip that carried a purported conversation between Modi`s close aide Amit Shah and "Saheb" about the snooping details, claiming that "Saheb" in this case was Modi.
BJP had yesterday strongly reacted to the Union Cabinet`s decision approving setting up of a judicial Commission of Inquiry to probe charges of spying on a young woman in 2009 allegedly at the behest of Modi.
As BJP alleged that the Centre`s move was an attack on the federal structure, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi had yesterday accused the opposition party of "creating an obfuscation", saying that Modi was involved in "cheap abuse" of power in the case and that the Centre was well within its rights to set up the inquiry commission.
Some Congress leaders also said that that the inquiry should have been ordered earlier with Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma going to the extent of maintaining, "Modi would have been in jail" had the probe started earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB