Snoopgate: Sharma files defamation suit against Madhu Kishwar
Ahmedabad: Suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma has filed a criminal defamation case in a local court here against editor and columnist Madhu Kishwar, alleging that she tried to tarnish his image in the snooping scandal.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate H G Pandya is likely to hear the application on December 5 to decide if it comes under his jurisdiction, before admitting the matter.
The case is about Kishwar`s comments on Twitter and television channels, which Sharma alleges were derogatory to him regarding the surveillance of a young woman allegedly ordered by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s trusted aide Amit Shah.
Through his advocate Mukul Sinha, Sharma has issued a defamation notice to Kishwar and had asked her to reply within 48 hours. However, when she did not receive any reply, he approached the court here.
Two investigative news portals, Cobrapost.Com and Gulail.Com had claimed on November 15 that Amit Shah had ordered the illegal surveillance of a woman at the behest of one "Saheb".
They had released taped conversations between Shah and IPS officer G L Singhal to support their claim, but said that its authenticity could not be confirmed.
In her tweets on Twitter and during television debates, Kishwar had alleged that Sharma had harassed the woman, due to which her father had asked for protection from Modi.
"Allegations mede by you and published on your Twitter account amounts to the grossest defamation," the defamation suit read.
The defamation case seeks to start criminal proceedings against Madhu Kishwar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Ranveer Singh, Varun Dhawan, Arjun Kapoor, Sidharth Malhotra, Shahid Kapoor, Karan Singh Grover – Kisme Kitni ‘ab’ hai
- Coal scam: Court orders framing of charges against Naveen Jindal
- Pyongyang sentences Korean-American for spying
- I don't diet, I'm just genetically blessed: Priyanka Chopra
- Visit NH44 to gorge on some flavoursome dishes from Kashmir to Kanyakumari