Snoopgate: Sharma files defamation suit against Madhu Kishwar
Ahmedabad: Suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma has filed a criminal defamation case in a local court here against editor and columnist Madhu Kishwar, alleging that she tried to tarnish his image in the snooping scandal.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate H G Pandya is likely to hear the application on December 5 to decide if it comes under his jurisdiction, before admitting the matter.
The case is about Kishwar`s comments on Twitter and television channels, which Sharma alleges were derogatory to him regarding the surveillance of a young woman allegedly ordered by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s trusted aide Amit Shah.
Through his advocate Mukul Sinha, Sharma has issued a defamation notice to Kishwar and had asked her to reply within 48 hours. However, when she did not receive any reply, he approached the court here.
Two investigative news portals, Cobrapost.Com and Gulail.Com had claimed on November 15 that Amit Shah had ordered the illegal surveillance of a woman at the behest of one "Saheb".
They had released taped conversations between Shah and IPS officer G L Singhal to support their claim, but said that its authenticity could not be confirmed.
In her tweets on Twitter and during television debates, Kishwar had alleged that Sharma had harassed the woman, due to which her father had asked for protection from Modi.
"Allegations mede by you and published on your Twitter account amounts to the grossest defamation," the defamation suit read.
The defamation case seeks to start criminal proceedings against Madhu Kishwar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters