Snooping inquiry just match-fixing, eyewash by Modi: Cong
New Delhi: Dismissing as "eyewash" and "matchfixing" the probe ordered Gujarat government into the snoopgate, Congress today stepped up attack on Narendra Modi asserting that nothing short of an inquiry by a Supreme Court judge will do.
"This match fixing will not be accepted.... Nothing short of an inquriy by a Supreme Court will be acceptable. Because they are on defensive they think that some kind of an eyewash has to be done. We reject this.
"Setting up of this commission of inquiry is mere an eyewash. The Commission has two members from a backward class commission of the state and the other is one who has worked under the then Minister of State for Home Amit Shah....Congres party slams the Commission of inquiry," party spokesperson P C Chacko told reporters here.
Questioning the "silence" of Modi and Shah over the episode, Chacko said that they should come out with explanation on the whole issue.
"What does their silence mean. It is so intriguing. Both Modi and Shah are silent. BJP`s PM candidate is number one accused in the case and he has violated all human rights and all norms and rules. He is not responding. Their silence speak of volumes. They are on the defensive," the Congress spokesperson said.
In Gujarat, the state Congress today passed a resolution demanding an inquiry by a sitting Supreme Court judge into the case.
The move comes on a day when the state government appointed retired Gujarat High Court judge Sugnyaben K Bhatt and retired former Additional Chief Secretary KC Kapoor to hold an inquiry into the allegations that the said surveillance was carried out at the behest of former state Home Minister Amit Shah.
The two-member panel has been asked to submit its report within three months.
At the AICC briefing, Chacko said, "a person of a stature of Chief Minister indulging in this type of activities should not be allowed to escape."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre