Snooping row: Drop Narendra Modi as PM candidate, asks Cong; BJP rejects probe demand
New Delhi: Upping the ante in the escalating snooping row, Congress on Wednesday said the BJP should change Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, as the saffron party rejected its demand for a probe into "illegal" police watch of a woman allegedly at the behest of his close aide Amit Shah.
The BJP said the matter involving the woman in Gujarat should be put to rest after her father did not want any probe.
Countering the Congress demand for a central probe, the BJP said it was "politically motivated" and wondered why it was insisting on this when the matter was a state subject.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde indicated that security agencies were collecting information on the whole issue and if required a probe could be ordered. "We are collecting information on this and after that we will look into the matter," he told reporters.
Shah, the man at the centre of the controversy, refused any comment when he was repeatedly asked about his stand in Agra where he is overseeing arrangements for a Modi rally to be held later in the week.
"Yes, I always said that," Union Minister and senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal said when asked whether the BJP should replace Modi as the party`s PM candidate in the aftermath of the snooping controversy. "Sooner or later it will be done," he added.
Sibal said the Gujarat government should order a probe even if the woman`s father was not in favour of it.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said there is more political interest in the subject, rather than facts.
"Even after the concerned woman and her father are saying that security was provided on their request they are not complaining, but Congress is concerned about this," the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha said.
"The basis of the case is in itself wrong. Security and protection is not snooping," he added.
Questioning the motive of Congress, Jaitley said, "Has this (Congress) government ordered a probe how thing were done in other cases? When the woman and her father herself was saying that this was the protection given to her at her own request for some specified reasons, then where is the question of probe in this."
Jaitley`s party colleague Ravi Shankar Prasad said the matter concerned was under the jurisdiction of the state government and noted that the girl`s father had no grievance.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said Congress should let the matter rest now that the girl`s father has written to the National Commission for Women stating that the Modi government had made security arrangements for his daughter with the family`s consent.
The father has also told the NCW in a letter that his daughter does not want any probe into the issue as there was no encroachment on her privacy.
Notwithstanding the letter, the NCW asked the Gujarat Government to probe the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi