Social media has become important in India: Tharoor
Kochi: Along with its other incarnations like print and broadcast, social media, too, has become influential in the country, Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development, Shashi Tharoor, said on Thursday.
Nobody can now ignore social media given the influence it exerts in politics, business and society, Tharoor said at the launch here of `Insight Media City (India) Private Ltd`, billed as the country`s first private media city.
He said that although the present penetration level of internet in the country was 12 to 13 per cent, mobile phone access had touched 65 to 75 per cent.
With 4G services coming in, internet through mobile phone would become cheaper and the influence of social media in all spheres, too, would increase, Tharoor added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing