Social media has become important in India: Tharoor
Kochi: Along with its other incarnations like print and broadcast, social media, too, has become influential in the country, Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development, Shashi Tharoor, said on Thursday.
Nobody can now ignore social media given the influence it exerts in politics, business and society, Tharoor said at the launch here of `Insight Media City (India) Private Ltd`, billed as the country`s first private media city.
He said that although the present penetration level of internet in the country was 12 to 13 per cent, mobile phone access had touched 65 to 75 per cent.
With 4G services coming in, internet through mobile phone would become cheaper and the influence of social media in all spheres, too, would increase, Tharoor added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS