Social security benefits to unorganised sector workers: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday informed Rajya Sabha that it has initiated steps to provide social security benefits to workers in the unorganised sector.
With a view to providing social security to unorganised workers, Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said the Unorganised Worker`s Social Security Act, 2008 has been enacted.
As per a government survey carried out in 2009-10, there were 43.7 crore people employed in the unorganised sector.
The Act provides for constitution of National Social Security Board at the central level to recommend schemes related with life and disability cover, health and maternity benefits, old age protection and any other benefit for unorganised sector workers.
"The government has initiated steps in the context of all these social security benefits," the Minister said.
Replying to supplementaries, he said there are social security schemes for BPL families, street vendors, workers in the construction and building segment and MNREGA workers.
Some of the social security schemes for workers in the unorganised sector include, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna, Aam Admi Bima Yojna and Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read