Social security benefits to unorganised sector workers: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday informed Rajya Sabha that it has initiated steps to provide social security benefits to workers in the unorganised sector.
With a view to providing social security to unorganised workers, Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said the Unorganised Worker`s Social Security Act, 2008 has been enacted.
As per a government survey carried out in 2009-10, there were 43.7 crore people employed in the unorganised sector.
The Act provides for constitution of National Social Security Board at the central level to recommend schemes related with life and disability cover, health and maternity benefits, old age protection and any other benefit for unorganised sector workers.
"The government has initiated steps in the context of all these social security benefits," the Minister said.
Replying to supplementaries, he said there are social security schemes for BPL families, street vendors, workers in the construction and building segment and MNREGA workers.
Some of the social security schemes for workers in the unorganised sector include, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna, Aam Admi Bima Yojna and Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!