Social security benefits to unorganised sector workers: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday informed Rajya Sabha that it has initiated steps to provide social security benefits to workers in the unorganised sector.
With a view to providing social security to unorganised workers, Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said the Unorganised Worker`s Social Security Act, 2008 has been enacted.
As per a government survey carried out in 2009-10, there were 43.7 crore people employed in the unorganised sector.
The Act provides for constitution of National Social Security Board at the central level to recommend schemes related with life and disability cover, health and maternity benefits, old age protection and any other benefit for unorganised sector workers.
"The government has initiated steps in the context of all these social security benefits," the Minister said.
Replying to supplementaries, he said there are social security schemes for BPL families, street vendors, workers in the construction and building segment and MNREGA workers.
Some of the social security schemes for workers in the unorganised sector include, Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna, Aam Admi Bima Yojna and Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials
- US condemns North Korea missile test-fire, calls it 'provocation'