Societal support crucial for a rape victim to overcome trauma
Ranchi: The crucial role of society in helping a rape victim to overcome her trauma and heal the disturbing experience was emphasised by a top psychiatrist here on Friday.
"At a time when negative thoughts cloud a rape victim`s mind, the society`s role is crucial," the Director of Ranchi Institute of Neuro-Psychiatry & Allied Sciences (RINPAS), Amool Ranjan Singh, said here.
"The society should be sensitive towards the victim`s plight because she is not responsible for what had happened to her," Singh said.
Warning that the victim would start thinking that the public had come to know about her ordeal and would reject her, he said such thoughts would generate anger in her against the society, pushing her into depression.
The psychiatrist advised the people around the victim to be very cooperative and loving towards her as it would help her to overcome the trauma fast.
The accused, he demanded, should be dealt sternly under the law to infuse confidence in the victim, so that she would think that society was concerned for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron