Societal support crucial for a rape victim to overcome trauma
Ranchi: The crucial role of society in helping a rape victim to overcome her trauma and heal the disturbing experience was emphasised by a top psychiatrist here on Friday.
"At a time when negative thoughts cloud a rape victim`s mind, the society`s role is crucial," the Director of Ranchi Institute of Neuro-Psychiatry & Allied Sciences (RINPAS), Amool Ranjan Singh, said here.
"The society should be sensitive towards the victim`s plight because she is not responsible for what had happened to her," Singh said.
Warning that the victim would start thinking that the public had come to know about her ordeal and would reject her, he said such thoughts would generate anger in her against the society, pushing her into depression.
The psychiatrist advised the people around the victim to be very cooperative and loving towards her as it would help her to overcome the trauma fast.
The accused, he demanded, should be dealt sternly under the law to infuse confidence in the victim, so that she would think that society was concerned for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back