Societal support crucial for a rape victim to overcome trauma
Ranchi: The crucial role of society in helping a rape victim to overcome her trauma and heal the disturbing experience was emphasised by a top psychiatrist here on Friday.
"At a time when negative thoughts cloud a rape victim`s mind, the society`s role is crucial," the Director of Ranchi Institute of Neuro-Psychiatry & Allied Sciences (RINPAS), Amool Ranjan Singh, said here.
"The society should be sensitive towards the victim`s plight because she is not responsible for what had happened to her," Singh said.
Warning that the victim would start thinking that the public had come to know about her ordeal and would reject her, he said such thoughts would generate anger in her against the society, pushing her into depression.
The psychiatrist advised the people around the victim to be very cooperative and loving towards her as it would help her to overcome the trauma fast.
The accused, he demanded, should be dealt sternly under the law to infuse confidence in the victim, so that she would think that society was concerned for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media