Society`s support needed for women’s safety: Tewari
Ludhiana: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Saturday said that the Union government has taken concrete steps to ensure safety and dignity of the women.
He also noted that with the active support of the society the efforts of the government can yield much better results.
Addressing the annual convocation of Ramgarhia Girls` College here, Tewari further said that for creating a free and a safe environment for women, there was need to bring about a change in the mindset of the people towards women.
The minister emphasised that the society has to accept women as equal partners in the development of the nation.
On their part, the women will also have to play bigger role in eliminating social evils, the Ludhiana MP added.
Tewari informed that the Centre has initiated the skill development programme and urged the women to come forward to join the programme in large numbers.
He urged the college authorities for updating the curriculum according to the need of the hour and asked them to foster a close liaison with the industry.
On the occasion, Tewari awarded Role of Honour to 21 students who brought glory to the college in various fields.
He also conferred the Masters and Bachelors degrees upon 783 students.
The Minister also inaugurated the Computer Laboratory of the college for which a grant of Rs 5 lakh has been provided by Tewari from his Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme fund.
He further assured the college of all financial help from his MPLADS fund for the development of the institution.
Earlier, Tewari inaugurated the rural sports meet at Village Malakpur here, where he said, the UPA Government is committed to strengthening of rural sports infrastructure in the country so that the energy of the youth could be utilised in a positive way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared