Society`s support needed for women’s safety: Tewari
Ludhiana: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Saturday said that the Union government has taken concrete steps to ensure safety and dignity of the women.
He also noted that with the active support of the society the efforts of the government can yield much better results.
Addressing the annual convocation of Ramgarhia Girls` College here, Tewari further said that for creating a free and a safe environment for women, there was need to bring about a change in the mindset of the people towards women.
The minister emphasised that the society has to accept women as equal partners in the development of the nation.
On their part, the women will also have to play bigger role in eliminating social evils, the Ludhiana MP added.
Tewari informed that the Centre has initiated the skill development programme and urged the women to come forward to join the programme in large numbers.
He urged the college authorities for updating the curriculum according to the need of the hour and asked them to foster a close liaison with the industry.
On the occasion, Tewari awarded Role of Honour to 21 students who brought glory to the college in various fields.
He also conferred the Masters and Bachelors degrees upon 783 students.
The Minister also inaugurated the Computer Laboratory of the college for which a grant of Rs 5 lakh has been provided by Tewari from his Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme fund.
He further assured the college of all financial help from his MPLADS fund for the development of the institution.
Earlier, Tewari inaugurated the rural sports meet at Village Malakpur here, where he said, the UPA Government is committed to strengthening of rural sports infrastructure in the country so that the energy of the youth could be utilised in a positive way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat