Society`s support needed for women’s safety: Tewari
Ludhiana: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Saturday said that the Union government has taken concrete steps to ensure safety and dignity of the women.
He also noted that with the active support of the society the efforts of the government can yield much better results.
Addressing the annual convocation of Ramgarhia Girls` College here, Tewari further said that for creating a free and a safe environment for women, there was need to bring about a change in the mindset of the people towards women.
The minister emphasised that the society has to accept women as equal partners in the development of the nation.
On their part, the women will also have to play bigger role in eliminating social evils, the Ludhiana MP added.
Tewari informed that the Centre has initiated the skill development programme and urged the women to come forward to join the programme in large numbers.
He urged the college authorities for updating the curriculum according to the need of the hour and asked them to foster a close liaison with the industry.
On the occasion, Tewari awarded Role of Honour to 21 students who brought glory to the college in various fields.
He also conferred the Masters and Bachelors degrees upon 783 students.
The Minister also inaugurated the Computer Laboratory of the college for which a grant of Rs 5 lakh has been provided by Tewari from his Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme fund.
He further assured the college of all financial help from his MPLADS fund for the development of the institution.
Earlier, Tewari inaugurated the rural sports meet at Village Malakpur here, where he said, the UPA Government is committed to strengthening of rural sports infrastructure in the country so that the energy of the youth could be utilised in a positive way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today